Monday, November 3, 2008

The Journey Begins - 5/07

I guess I should write a little about who I am and what I've done so far to be a parent.

About a year and a half ago my husband and I decided to start trying for a baby. A laparoscopy before we were married confirmed that I have endometriosis so we were prepared for it to take awhile before we got pregnant. Of course we never really thought that "awhile" might drag on and start to look more and more like "probably never."

I dutifully made my "pre-conception" appointment with my ob/gyn, Dr. T. Given my history he decided to do a hysterosalpingogram before we started trying just to make sure my tubes were open. For anyone who doesn't know, an HSG is a really fun procedure where the doctor inserts a catheter through your cervix and shoots dye through your uterus and fallopian tubes. Its kind of neat because you can watch the whole thing unfold on X-Ray and everything is so much smaller than you think it will be! For a lot of women its really excruciatingly painful but I had a pretty easy time with it. I guess I have that to be thankful for. Anyway, my HSG was completely normal and Dr. T gave us the green light to start trying.

And we tried. And tried. And tried. I was starting to have cramps all the time so I was pretty sure my endometriosis was back. Also, I was trying to track my cycles using a basal body thermometer and I was getting funny results. Patience has never been my strong point and so I started freaking out very very early.

No comments: